The historic rural town of Keith‚ known as the 'Gateway to the South East' was once part of the arid Ninety Mile Desert. Research carried out by the CSIRO in the late 1940’s‚ revealed that the addition of trace elements to the soil and a reliable water source would increase the region's fertility sufficiently for farming. In the 1950’s‚ the AMP Society was instrumental in opening up the land to agriculture and a memorial to this may be found on the corner of the Dukes Highway and Ellis Street.
Most impressive of the early buildings in Heritage Street is the former Congregational Church (1910). Built of local stone‚ it has some original leadlight windows and now also some new ones portraying pioneering history installed as a Bicentennial project. In the main street‚ the Circlework Water Feature celebrates the cycle of water through the Australian landscape.
We are busy rebuilding, the biggest change is the single search field
It's designed to fit on any screen size