Bowning, altitude: 602m, is a small town in the Southern Tablelands, 14 km west of Yass on the Hume Highway in Yass Valley Shire. Bowning is an aboriginal word meaning big hill. At the 2011 census, Bowning and the surrounding area had a population of 573.
Nearby Bowning Hill is 796 metres above sea level and Hume and Hovell mentioned it in their 1824 journal. Bowning was one of the earliest settlements in the district.
Historic buildings include the Troopers Cottage on the Binalong Road and the old Cobb and Co Coaching Station in Bogolong Street. The coaching station was built sometime between 1850 and 1870. The original local school was amongst the earliest established schools in inland New South Wales, founded in 1849, but now replaced.