Bungonia is a small town in the Southern Tablelands in New South Wales, Australia in Goulburn Mulwaree. At the 2016 census, Bungonia had a population of 367. The name of the town derives from an Aboriginal word meaning 'sandy creek'.
It was originally called Inverary. A post office opened at Inverary in 1832 and was renamed Bungonia in 1836. When the Great South Road (now the Hume Highway) bypassed the town, Bungonia ceased to grow beyond a very small village.