Burren Junction is a New South Wales village 51 km west of Wee Waa, on the Kamilaroi Highway to Walgett. The name is from the local Aboriginal word for boomerang or 'big creek'. Burren Junction grew from a railway encampment which came from the extension of the north-western rail line in 1902. Burren Junction Post Office opened on 16 May 1904.
Burren Junction is in the Walgett Shire local government area and Jamison County. The village sits at an elevation of 163 metres and has a population of 130. Wheat and cotton growing are the main agricultural industries along with some sheep and beef cattle breeding.
The town has two churches, RSL and Sporting Club, sports ground, plus a hotel. The Burren Junction Bore is a hot mineral water pool complex that is floodlit to provide day and night bathing that is popular with tourists but now shunned by the locals who consider it ruined by the Walgett Council after their so-called 'upgrade'. The bore baths at Lightning Ridge remain the same.
There is also a pool, park and tennis court used for recreation. The tennis court is in poor condition, with only one of the three in passable condition. There used to be lots of tennis competitions in Burren Junction, however, they have long stopped. One method used to get the courts dry when it had rained, at the old competitions, was to fly a helicopter above the courts.
A Bachelor and Spinster Ball was held each year in Burren Junction, with people travelling from all over Australia to enjoy a night of fun and entertainment but had to be cancelled due to excessive insurance costs.