Milparinka is a small settlement in north-west New South Wales, Australia about 250 kilometres (155 mi) north of Broken Hill on the Silver City Highway. At the time of the 2006 census, Milparinka had a population of 55 people. Since 2014 this number has dropped to 10 inhabitants. Milparinka is on Evelyn Creek.
In 1844 Charles Sturt's expedition was stranded for six months at nearby Preservation Creek, owing to a lack of supplies. Gold was discovered in the 1870s and a rush commenced in 1880. The mostly male population peaked at 3,000, with W.H.J. Slee being appointed the resident Goldfields Warden in January 1881. Cobb and Co coaches ran three times a week from Milparinka to Wilcannia, and by August 1881 the official gold escort had carried about 10,000 ounces of gold from the field, not to mention that which went privately.
In this arid region, water was so scarce that miners got their gold by dry blowing. Water was selling for one shilling per bucket and dysentery was rife, until in September 1881, on the recommendation of W.H.J. Slee, the New South Wales government authorised the drilling of a well. In December 1881 the government well struck water at 140 feet, which caused great relief to all.