Valentine is a suburb of the City of Lake Macquarie in New South Wales, Australia 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Newcastle's central business district along the eastern shoreline of Lake Macquarie near the town of Belmont.
Coal was mined near Valentine by the Hartley Company in the mid 1800s, before it became a suburb in the 1950s, facing North, looking over the shallow waters of Croudace Bay. The public school opened in 1958. It is now a large residential district, a development commenced in the late 1980s. Valentine is home to number of convenience and specialty shops, including a butcher, post office, GP office, petrol station, newsagent and a bowling club.
The first house was built by Mr Thomas Croudace in the 1860s adjacent to the park on Valentine Crescent, and some of the trees from that original house still stand within the eastern portion of the park. A dairy was located further up the creek to the south, and at one stage the creek was dammed for a swimming area.
Valentine was named after Mr Henry Valentine Joseph Geary, a property speculator and company director who grew up in Melbourne, Victoria, and settled in NSW after 1909, speculating in mining. He owned land in Valentine, but lived on the Hawkesbury River, and died in 1933. Henry Halloran, a surveyor who surveyed the area in 1916, named the area after him. He was also responsible for surveying many of the suburbs in Sydney, including Seaforth.
The first cottage was built in the late 1920s but there being no usable road, no water, electricity or sewerage development, was slow.