Te Kowai is a suburb in the Mackay Regional Council in Queensland, Australia. Its population at the 2006 census was 666 people.
The name of the suburb is derived from a former railway station, itself derived from a nearby sugar plantation named after a New Zealand tree, kowhai. The name was shortened and the Māori definite article "Te" added.
A sugar mill was established in the area in 1874 and operated until 1894 when it amalgamated with the Palms Mill.