A short detour off Highway One is required to reach Crystal Brook located in the Southern Flinders Ranges and where the famous Flinders Ranges begin. The town was proclaimed in 1874‚ and built on land that was part of the Bowman brothers’ vast sheep station; the old Bowman Homestead may be seen to the east of town. Today the low rolling plains surrounding this quiet country town produce barley and wheat as well as sheep and cattle.
The town was named by Edward John Eyre‚ while exploring the area in 1839. He camped near the crystal clear waters of the brook. Local Aborigines called the creek ‘mercowie’ meaning ‘clear water’. Crystal Brook is home to a very pleasant golf course‚ plenty of green parklands and the interesting Heritage Centre.