Honiton is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the south coast of Yorke Peninsula immediately adjoining Investigator Strait about 89 kilometres (55 mi) west of the state capital of Adelaide and about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) west of the Edithburgh town centre.
Its boundaries were created in May 1999. The name derives from the former government town of Honiton which was proclaimed on 27 April 1876, which ceased on 26 September 1982 and whose site is within the locality’s extent. The former government town’s name itself is reported as being derived from Honiton, a town located in Devonshire, England.
Honiton’s coastal boundary with Investigator Strait includes coastal features such as Troubridge Hill and Troubridge Point.
The former government town was located in section 376 in the Hundred of Melville which was sub-divided by the surveyor, James W. Jones in 1874. A school was opened in 1874 under the name "Diamond Lake" which was the informal name used for part of the locality. The school was renamed as “Honiton” in 1891 and was closed in 1942. The locality contains two sites listed on the South Australian Heritage Register - the Lake Fowler Salt Works on Lake Fowler Road and a length of dry stone walling that is located to one side of New Honiton Road, Goldsmith Beach Road and two other roads.
As of 2014, the majority land use within the locality is “primary production."
The 2011 census reported that Honiton shared a population of 159 people with the locality of Port Moorowie and part of the locality of Edithburgh.