Situated on the south-western edge of the famous wine-producing Barossa Valley‚ Lyndoch is the first of the Barossa towns to be reached by visitors from Adelaide. The first settlers were farmers who arrived in 1839. Vineyards as well as farms were established in the early years but the first winery‚ in a converted flour mill‚ was not set up until 1896. Vineyards and wineries of all sizes dot the hills around Lyndoch – most are family owned. Among the wineries is Yaldara wines‚ one of the largest in the Barossa. The chateau itself is French baroque in style.
Lyndoch was named by Colonel William Light to honour his friend‚ Lord Lynedoch‚ with whom he had served in the Napoleonic Wars. Somewhere along the way the 'e' was lost‚ leaving the name of the town as Lyndoch.