Mount Compass is a town in the Mount Lofty Ranges, on the A13 south of Adelaide, and north of Victor Harbor. It is a small community, traditionally supported by farming. Both market gardens and dairy have proved lucrative in the area. At the 2011 census, Mount Compass shared a population of 1,731 with adjoining localities.
Boundaries were created for the portion within the District Council of Yankalilla during August 1999 and for the portion in the Alexandrina Council during August 2000. The name is derived from Mount Compass, a nearby mountain, whose name was given in respect to the loss of compass at that place by George Gawler, the second Governor of South Australia in about 1840.
There is also a local area school that covers from years R-12 with the focus farm project that is run on the adjacent farm to the school.
The following two protected areas are located within the southern part of the locality - the Stipiturus Conservation Park and the Hesperilla Conservation Park.