Walloway (formerly Rye) is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located about 255 kilometres (158 mi) north of the state capital of Adelaide and about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north of the municipal seat of Orroroo.
Walloway came in existence as a government town which was surveyed in November 1881 and which was proclaimed with the name Rye on 30 March 1882. It was renamed as Walloway in 1940 in order to match the name of the railway station. The Government Town of Walloway was declared as “ceased to exist” on 30 June 1988. Boundaries for the locality were created in December 1999 which includes “the ceased Government Town of Walloway“ and was given the “long established name” which was derived from a “native name for a large plain frequented by wild turkeys.”
The principal land use within the locality is primary production.
Walloway is located within the federal division of Grey, the state electoral district of Stuart and the local government area of the District Council of Orroroo Carrieton.