Yorketown‚ the administrative‚ business and service centre for the southern Yorke Peninsula‚ was settled in 1872. It was one of the earliest pastoral settlements on the peninsula‚ established as a centre for the pioneering families that worked land that continues to produce wheat and barley today.
Although not a seaside town‚ Yorketown has easy access to three major bodies of water making it an ideal location for fishers. Gulf St Vincent and the townships of Edithburgh and Stansbury lie a few kilometres east‚ Hardwicke Bay and Spencer Gulf are a little further away to the west while to the south is Investigator Straight. The town derives its name from the Yorke Peninsula which was named by Matthew Flinders for the Right Honorable Charles Philip Yorke‚ First Lord of the Admiralty.