Burnie is a port city on the north-west coast of Tasmania. When founded in 1827, Burnie was named Emu Bay but it was renamed for William Burnie, a director of the Van Diemen's Land Company, in the early 1840s.
At the 2011 Australian Census Burnie had an urban population of 19,819, making it the fourth largest city in Tasmania. Burnie together with nearby Wynyard had an estimated urban population of 26,869 at June 2015.
Burnie is governed by the City of Burnie local government area.