Copping is a small township and agricultural district in the south-east of Tasmania between Dunalley and Sorell. Part of the Bream Creek district, it was named after Captain Richard Copping, who purchased a property here from George Moore in 1860 upon which he settled three of his half-brothers as tenant farmers. Captain Copping established his own property Rochford Hall nearby at Kellevie.
Copping Post Office opened on 1 October 1886 and closed in 1988.
Copping gained notoriety when it was revealed that Martin Bryant lived there for a number of years in the 1980s.
Properties were destroyed in Copping during bushfires in January 2013.