Elizabeth Town is a populated rural area in Meander Valley, Tasmania bisected by the Bass Highway. The town is named after Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen Of Australia during her first visit to the Commonwealth of Australia in 1954. It was the only town named after Her Majesty The Queen during her 1954 tour of Australia.
The area is largely a farming district. Significant agricultural enterprises include organic dairy producer Elgaar Farm, berry producer Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm and the Ashgrove Cheese Farm.
Land grants began in the area from the 1820s, and later a town was laid out based on 10 acres (4.0 ha) allotments. Until the 1970s, when some land was further subdivided on the east side of what is now the Bass Highway, the town area had only three houses and had not become a population centre. Consequent to the subdivision more dwellings were built and there were more than forty by 2002. At the 2006 census, the Elizabeth Town area had a population of 502. John Spicer built and opened a hotel on the road to from Deloraine north to Devonport in the 1850s. Just prior to 1900 the then owner, Charles Slater, demolished the building replaced it with the current structure. Slater had used money from a lottery win to build the new hotel. The hotel, which sits by the Bass Highway, is now run as ETC—the Elizabeth Town café.
Elizabeth once had a school, tennis courts, a Catholic church, an Anglican church, post office and a hall. Of these only one church building remains.