Hampshire is a locality in the north-west of Tasmania (Australian postcode 7321) inland from Burnie. It was first settled by Europeans in the late 1820s when rolling plains were mistakenly believed to be good grazing ground for sheep by the surveyors of the Van Diemen's Land Company. In fact, the open lands were the result of generations of burning off the natural temperate rainforest by the indigenous aboriginal population of the area, and it proved totally unsuitable for the chosen purpose. In later years its fertile soils have been used for a variety of agricultural uses although it is currently mostly used for timber plantations.
Hampshire Post Office opened on 10 January 1921 and closed in 1969.
Hampshire was home to one of Gunns woodchip export mills that chipped eucalypt forest residues that were exported to Japan to be used as paper pulp in the paper making process.