Moogara is a locality in Tasmania, Australia. It is situated approximately 37 kilometres (23 mi) from Hobart (direct line), Moogara used to be a bustling hamlet with 100 families, some of which had up to 16 children, it had its own school, general store, saw mills and farms.
Moogara was named by Barney McGuire. He named it Moogara as it is Aboriginal for 'Journey of one day' as it took Barney this long to walk from Plenty to select his property.
Moogara's hub was the Post Office which began business on 11 November 1911 under Mrs H. Simco. On 1 September 1924 it was taken over by Amos McGuire; it was run by the McGuire family until it closed on 31 January 1970. Mrs Emma Townsend (née McGuire) was the last postmistress; Emma and husband Norman lived where the old Post Office was located until 1999.
While Moogara's population is not as high as it once was, it is still home to several families some of which are direct descendants of those who originally settled in the area.