Mount Stuart is a suburb of Hobart that lies on a ridge that extends from a foothill of Mount Wellington, known as Knocklofty. The original owners of the land, upon which Mount Stuart is built, were known as Mouheneenner band of the South East tribe of Tasmanian aborigines. Ownership of the land began to change after British occupation of the land began in 1803.
Mount Stuart is a predominantly residential suburb located at the end of Elphinstone Road. There is currently a hairdresser at the top of Elphinstone Road. The main school in the suburb is Mount Stuart Primary School, which opened in 1957. The site had previously been part of the Paraclete Estate. The Kindergarten on Raymont Terrace has moved and currently Mount Stuart Presbyterian Church rents the building, using it for their Kids Church and morning tea after the church service. The Mount Stuart Community Hall is a feature of the suburb, on land owned by the Hobart City Council and is managed by the Mount Stuart Community Association. The Mount Stuart Scout Group have met at this hall since 1959. A dance school is also run from the Hall.
There is a local park with barbecues at the end of Benjafield Terrace, beneath the Mount Stuart Lookout, which has views of the city, Mount Dromedary, and the northern suburbs. The playground features a mock rock-climbing wall.
The name Mount Stuart comes indirectly from a Governor of Bombay (Mumbai) in India, Mountstuart Elphinstone. Mountstuart was the fourth son of the eleventh Lord Elphinstone, and was born in Dunbartonshire, Scotland.