Tarleton is a residential/semi rural town in northern Tasmania, Australia on the Mersey River it is the part of the Latrobe Municipality.
Captain William Moriarty took up land (200 acres) at Frogmore in ca.1835, his sister Lucinda settled there in 1836 and named Ballahoo Island. There is also a creek there called Ballahoo Creek and a road called Ballahoo Road. Frogmore was let to Henry Bonney in 1837.
Thomas Johnson (1808-1869) and his wife Dolly Dalrymple Mountgarret Briggs (1810-1864), the first known child of an Aboriginal and white person union moved there in 1845 and took over the tenancy of Frogmore. He made money from a paling splitting establishing and exporting timber to South Australia.
In early 1851 they leased and acquired by purchase part or all of the 600 acre Tarleton town reserve, and portion of Ballahoo Island together with some of the suburbs of Tarleton. 500 acres were purchased southwest of "Frogmore" and they built at a place named Sherwood (Part of Latrobe), and he owned-hotels at Sherwood and Ballahoo. He built a Sherwood Hall at the latter place for public recreation dances religious services and as a school.
Sherwood Hall was relocated to its present site near Bells Parade, Latrobe in 1993 from its original site on Railton Road because it was threatened with collapse by long term erosion from the nearby Mersey River.
Thomas Johnson owned the town blocks and later discovered coal mine Alfred Colliery, which shipped its coal from Ballaho Creek.