Triabunna is the second largest township on the east coast of Tasmania, (after St Helens, population 2049, 2006 Census) the civic and municipal heart of the Glamorgan Spring Bay Council and is 84 kilometres to the north-east of the state capital Hobart. It is a coastal town on the Tasman Highway, and is sheltered within Spring Bay at the mouth of MacCleans Creek and Vickerys Rivulet. The nearest township is Orford, 6 kilometres to the south on the far side of the bay. At the 2006 census, Triabunna had a population of 796.
The nearby resort and residences of Louisville are considered a satellite community of Triabunna.
"Triabunna" is an Aboriginal Tasmanian word for the endemic Tasmanian native-hen. The town was founded in 1830 as a station of the 63rd regiment, and later the 51st regiment also called Triabunna home for a time.
Triabunna is a scenic township surrounded by beaches, hills and beautiful tracts of eucalyptus forest. The area contains many historic buildings from Tasmania's colonial period. Triabunna also commands excellent views of Maria Island, which can be reached by a short ferry ride from the town.
Located on the Triabunna foreshore there is the Tasmanian Seafarers Memorial, a memorial jointly commemorating all Tasmanian seafarers who lost their lives at sea, including Tasmanian members of the armed services, and those seafarers who, regardless of occupation or nationality, lost their lives in Tasmanian waters. A memorial service is held in October each year when recently added memorial plaques remembering lives lost are dedicated.