Waratah is a town in western Tasmania adjacent to Savage River National Park. It was constructed to support a tin mine at Mount Bischoff. The town is built at the top of a waterfall, and water was diverted from the stream to provide water for mine sluicing and processing. At the 2006 census, Waratah had a population of 227. It was also the first town in Australia to have electric street lights in 1886.