Aberfeldy is a small town in Victoria, Australia on Mount Lookout, northeast of the Thomson Dam, 125 kilometres (78 mi) east of Melbourne.
The area was settled in 1871 following the discovery of gold.
The first Post Office opened on 1 January 1872 but closed in 1967.
The town was surveyed and proclaimed in 1885. It was initially known as Mount Lookout but was eventually renamed after the Scottish town of Aberfeldy. At its peak, the township had a population of around 500. After the gold rush the town was used for sheep and cattle grazing and for the production of potatoes and other crops.
Following the First World War, the population diminished although the town managed to survive. The town hotel was burned down in 1938 and the Black Friday bush-fires of 1939 destroyed many of the buildings in the town.
On 10 March 1942 a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk of the United States Army Air Force flown by Captain Joseph P McLaughlin crashed near Aberfeldy on a flight from Canberra to Laverton. It was discovered in 1948. In 2006 his remains were buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
A road was built to Matlock by 1950 but it was not maintained properly and fell to ruin.
The town was home to Kitty Cane, a former dancer and mining investor who owned a successful shanty on Walhalla-Wood's Point Road. When Cane died, her loyal customers and the local miners decided to carry her coffin to the Aberfeldy cemetery. Since Cane was an unusually large woman and because the miners were intoxicated, the coffin never made it to the cemetery and instead the miners buried her alongside the road.