Blackwood is a township in Victoria, Australia. The township is located on the Lerderderg River, 89 kilometres north west of the state capital, Melbourne. Situated in The Wombat State Forest. Blackwood is in the Shire of Moorabool local government area and had a population of 297 at the 2011 census. The town currently consists of a pub, an artisan cafe & store, a post office and a cafe and plant nursery at The Garden of St Erth.
The township was founded in 1855 during the Victorian gold rush and at one stage had a population of around 13,000 prospectors. The Post Office opened on 22 September 1855 and was known as Mount Blackwood until 1921.
Attractions include outdoor activities and camping in the Lerderderg State Park and Wombat State Forest. The Blackwood Merchant artisan cafe & store, The Garden of St Erth, Blackwood Pub, Blackwood Mineral Springs Holiday Park, miners' cottages from the 1860s and Mount Blackwood. Mount Blackwood is an extinct volcano, offering panoramic views of the surrounding area. The remnants of Wheeler's Tramway, a former Blackwood sawmill tramway in the Wombat State Forest, are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register for their archaeological significance.
The famous Easter Carnival & wood chop, is an important annual event. Held annually on the Saturday.
In Early November each year, the beauty that is Blackwood Recreation Reserve, hosts musicians from all over the world. It's the Blackwood festival of music and culture.
The town attracts professionals tradespeople and creatives, who all live together in a friendly community.