Merton is a small town on the Maroondah Highway in north-east Victoria, west of Bonnie Doon. At the 2011 census, Merton had a population of 302.
Merton Post Office opened on 1 July 1858.
The railway to Mansfield arrived in the town from Tallarook in 1890, and closed on November 18, 1978. The last passenger service was on May 28, 1977.
Merton has a picnic horse racing club, the Merton Amateur Turf Club (established in 1865), which holds its one race meeting a year with the Merton Cup on New Years Day.
Merton Memorial Hall was opened on 20 June 1923, under the official title of Merton Mechanics' Institute. Its name was changed to the current one in 1944.