|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Coopernook is a village in mid-north New South Wales, Australia (post code 2426). It is located 24 kilometres north of Taree and 11 kilometres west of Harrington and is administered by Mid-Coast Council. At the 2011 census, Coopernook and the surrounding area had a population of 519 people. It was formerly situated on the Pacific Highway, until 22 March 2006, when the Coopernook Bypass was opened. The old highway crossed the Lansdowne River on a narrow iron girder bridge.
The name, Coopernook, means "the elbow" in the local Aboriginal language, Biripi. This name refers to the bend in the Lansdowne River which looks like an elbow of an arm.
The Coopernook Primary School in Macquarie Street was established in 1875, and in 2006 it had an enrolment of 81. Its enrolment in 2007 was a similar number.
Coopernook Post Office opened on 1 November 1876. Coopernook Hotel, located on the edge of the Lansdowne River of the south side of the village, was established in the late 1920s. One of the first roads built in Coopernook was Wharf Road, of which the original post office was located before being moved to Macquarie Street. The old post office building is now a private residence and still stands directly across the road from Coopernook Hotel.
Coopernook Police Station and Lockup Residence, located: 14 Macquarie Street and Henry Street, corner of, has two cells and an exercise yard and several outbuildings including a garage and woodshed. The former Courthouse and Police Station building, designed by the Government Architect, WL Vernon in 1900 are of historical and streetscape significance to the town.