|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Jugiong is a locality and town on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River near its confluence with Jugiong Creek. in the Hilltops Council Local Government area, New South Wales, Australia. It is situated just off the Hume Highway, by road, about 30 kilometres southwest from Bookham and 40 kilometres northeast from Gundagai. At the 2016 census, Jugiong had a population of 222.The area now known as Jugiong lies on the traditional lands of the Wiradjuri people. The name Jugiong is almost certainly a settler rendering of a Wiradjuri language word. Settlers said that it was from 'U-go-wong' meaning 'the valley of the crows'.It was first settled in the 1820s when Henry O'Brien started grazing sheep on the Jugiong Run. A public house was already at the future town's site, when John Sheahan took it over in 1844. A site for a town was reserved in 1853. Jugiong Post Office opened on 1 October 1856. Tenders were sought, in 1858, for the construction of a bridge over Jugiong Creek that was opened by the second half of 1859. Jugiong has had a public school since 1883. John Sheahan donated the land and much of the cost for the erection of the town's Catholic Church, St John the Evangelist, built between 1858 and 1860. the town also had an Anglican Church, Christ Church, built in 1895 to replace and earlier church; no longer a church, the building is privately owned.Jugiong is situated on a large—almost complete—loop in the Murrumbidgee River, into which Jugiong Creek flows just above the town site. The river splits into two streams just downstream as it passes Jugiong Island.
|Our new tool powered by|