|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Stroud is a small country town one hour north of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. It is part of the Mid-Coast Council local government area. The major road through Stroud is the Bucketts Way. At the 2006 census, Stroud had a population of 669.The township of Stroud can trace its beginning back to the late 1820s when it became the headquarters for a public funded company known as the Australian Agricultural Company (A. A. Company). In 1824, this company received a grant of one million acres (4,000 km²) of land between Port Stephens and the Manning River. This land was to be used for agriculture.
Stroud was a self-contained village by 1832 and, as early as 1836, the Company's storehouses and much of the convict labour force were located there. By 1850, it had become the Company's headquarters. Land was subdivided for private settlement in 1849, with settlers arriving from England the following year to take up land grants there.
Many fine buildings were constructed at Stroud. Some of these are still in use today: Stroud House (1827–32); St John's Church (1833) and Quambi School House (late 1830s), and the underground grain silos, built by the A. A. Company for the storage of grain.