|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Arcoona or Arcoona Station is a pastoral lease that operates as a sheep station.
It is located about 28 kilometres (17 mi) north east of Woomera in the outback of South Australia,
The station occupies an area of 828 square miles (2,145 km2). The station was founded prior to 1880 and was owned by Mr A. M. Wooldridge in 1880. Wooldridge owned the Parakylia lease that he had established and then sold the western portion and kept the balance himself and renamed as Arcoona. The neighbouring properties are Wirraminna to the south and Andamooka Station to the north.The pastoralist James Gemmell who has been managing Mundi Mundi Station left to take over Arcoona in 1893.The horse Discussion by Light Artillery from Small Talk was bought in 1906 and sent to Arcoona to stud. Richardson paid 190 guineas for the sire.It was sold in 1909 by Messrs. Richardson and Gemmell to John Pick of Terowie, who would be elected to the House of Assembly while at Arcoona. At the time the station was stocked with 12,000 sheep, 600 cattle, 250 horses and 7 camels.Although Arcoona has an arid climate it is occasionally inundated with rain, in 1919 Mr J. H. Mules reported 3 inches (76 mm) of rain falling and the lake filling fast, and again on New Years Day in 1921 4 inches (102 mm) of rain fell.Pick sold Arcoona in 1920 and bought Coondambo Station in May 1920 for £37,200.The station was restocked in 1930 with 2,000 ewes being delivered from the Matakanna district.Following a great season in 1938 the percentage of lambing was excellent with 6,637 lambs produced from 6,977 ewes.The 1942 season was fairly dry but some patchy rains provided enough feed for the sheep to graze on but not enough to fill any surface tanks.