|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Beaumont is a suburb of Adelaide in the City of Burnside. Founded as a purpose-built village by Sir Samuel Davenport in 1848, it initially struggled due to high land prices in the area. However, with Adelaide's inevitable expansion residents eventually settled. The early village had quite a cosmopolitan flavour–although predominantly Anglo-Saxon like most of Australia at this point, many of Beaumont's early residents were veterans of the British Navy or Army or had lived in other countries for some time.
Beaumont House, constructed around 1850 for Augustus Short, still stands and is now owned by the National Trust of South Australia. Edward Burton Gleeson, the founder of the Mid North town of Clare originally owned a farm within the boundaries of Beaumont in the early 1840s, which he named "Gleeville". He became insolvent, sold the property to Davenport in 1842 and moved to his country property "Inchiquin" in the Clare Valley region. The original village was centred on a small park known as the "Beaumont Common" (or to residents simply as "The Common"). The suburb has now expanded south-east in the direction of the hills however, with newer developments now on the face of the Adelaide Hills.
|Our new tool powered by|