|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Brooklyn Park is a western suburb of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. It is immediately northeast of Adelaide Airport. It is bounded on the north by Henley Beach Road, on the east by Marion Road and on the west by May Terrace.Lockleys Post Office opened on 1 September 1904 and was renamed Brooklyn Park in 1967.Brooklyn Park now includes a subdivision that was originally named Bismarck and changed by the nomenclature committee to Weeroopa in 1918.Brooklyn Park held from 1925 the 6 acres (2.4 ha) site of the transmitting station for radio 5CL, which became an ABC station in 1929, then was joined by facilities for the second ABC station, 5AN ten years later. In 1961, with the commissioning of the new Pimpala transmitters, the facility was closed down, then demolished, and is now medium-density housing. Reasons for the shift include proximity to Adelaide Airport, encroaching suburbia, and the perceived need to upgrade to more powerful transmitters and a taller, more efficient antenna.
Brooklyn Park is the site of the Adelaide College of Divinity. The College moved to the site of the former Salesian College in late 1997. The Salesian College had opened as a Catholic boys school in 1954, opened to girls as well in 1978 and closed in 1996. Part of the site will become a campus of Emmaus Christian College from 2018. St John Bosco School is also in Brooklyn Park.