|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Elizabeth South is a northern suburb of Adelaide, South Australia in the City of Playford.
It was established in the late 1950s as one of the earliest residential suburbs of the planned City of Elizabeth. As for its neighbours including Elizabeth and Elizabeth North, it was configured as a local community around a small shopping centre containing a supermarket, bank, hotel and service station along with other shops.
The western boundary is the Gawler railway line, with predominantly current and former Defence land on the other side, including the South Australian branch of the Defence Science and Technology Group opposite Elizabeth South railway station. The suburb is situated on both sides of Philip Highway. The northern part of the suburb (north of Hogarth Road) is a residential suburb, with corresponding schools, shops and other community services. South of Hogarth Road, the suburb is industrial, including automotive and Defence manufacturing, dominated by the large Holden factory, which opened in 1960 and closed in 2017.The water tower near the railway line is 44.2 metres (145 ft) tall and the tank holds 250,000 imperial gallons (1,100,000 l; 300,000 US gal). It was built around 1940 (before Elizabeth was established) to supply the munitions factory that is now repurposed as Defence Science and Technology.
|Our new tool powered by|