|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Iron Baron was a settlement associated with the Iron Baron iron ore mine (32°59′48″S 137°09′30″E) on Eyre Peninsula at the southern edge of South Australia's Far North region, 436 kilometres (271 miles) north-west of Adelaide.
The settlement was situated about 200 metres from the eastern boundary of the mine. BHP owned and serviced the settlement, having built it about 1938. There were several dozen houses, a one-teacher primary school, a general store, oval, swimming pool, netball courts, picnic areas and licensed community club.
Before the mine’s re-opening in 2011, BHP bulldozed all the settlement's surface infrastructure, including buildings, into a pit at the mine. Employees now commute from Whyalla or elsewhere.