|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Kingoonya Township is a small almost totally abandoned farming settlement in the central outback of the Australian state of South Australia. It was established in the early 1900s as a railway support town for the 200 or so sheep farming families on the train-line extending west across the Nullarbor Plain to Western Australia. It played a significant role in the construction of the Trans-Australian Railway.
The Kingoonya Post Office first opened around 1884, closed in 1892, reopened in 1915 after the arrival of the railway and finally closed in 1982. When railway services were rationalised in the early 1990s, Kingoonya was almost abandoned. The few remaining houses in the township are only intermittently occupied by people involved in mining exploration and kangaroo shooting.
The Public House is still operating and offers limited accommodation and food. The township is also often used by off-roaders taking the permissible dirt tracks West towards Tarcoola or South past Lakes Everard and Gairdiner and the track to the Highway across the Nullarbor Plain. There are reputed to be small deposits of black opal in the area, following the 1968 discovery of a rare Black Rainbow Opal in a roadside pit off the main street by a six-year-old child.
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the town had a viable population of 20 railroad workers' families and several sheep and cattle farming ventures in the surrounding plains. The town has succumbed to salt-water level damage and the former sweet-water springs that supplied the town and farms have long-since disappeared.
Native indigenous Australian occupation of the area was evident for all of its recorded history with the Taylor Family Clan prominent in the area throughout the 1940s to 1990s, when they were "relocated" to government-provided accommodation near Tarcoola and elsewhere.