|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Mulka Station is a pastoral lease that operates as a cattle station in the far north of South Australia.
It is situated approximately 154 kilometres (96 mi) north of Marree and 216 kilometres (134 mi) west of Innamincka. The property is found to the south of Clifton Hills Station and is the driest permanently occupied pastoral holding in the country with annual rainfall of about 10 centimetres (4 in). The main vehicular access the property is via the unpaved Birdsville Track.
The property is currently owned by Garry Overton and it occupies an area of 5,600 square kilometres (2,162 sq mi). Both Lake Hope and Red Lake are situated within the station boundaries.
Established prior to 1889 the property used to be stocked with sheep. In 1889 the owner was James White who sold Mulka along with Canatalkina Run which together occupied an area of 804 square miles (2,082 km2) and was stocked with 6,000 sheep.
George 'Poddy' Aiston acquired Mulka in about 1923, he had previously worked as a policeman at Mungerannie after returning from the Boer War in 1902. By 1925 he had built the Mulka Store near the Mulka Bore along the Birdsville Track. The store was the only one in an area of approximately 70,000 square miles (181,299 km2) and carried the broadest range of stock imaginable. The Mulka Store Ruins are listed on the South Australian Heritage Register.
Drought had gripped the area in early 1929 with George Aiston predicting that if it did not break by the end of 1929 then the area would be desterted by both Europeans and Indigenous Australians.