|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Point Sturt, formerly known as Sturt Peninsula, is made up of rural living land holdings, primary production and grazing land in the District Council of Alexandrina. Point Sturt is a peninsula which protrudes about 10 km into the south-west portion of Lake Alexandrina, a large freshwater lake located at the end of the Murray River, just north of the Coorong. The beginning of Point Sturt Road is about 4 km from Clayton Bay and 9 km south of Milang, South Australia. At the end of Point Sturt road there are views extending from Lake Alexandrina to the Coorong.
The area was originally inhabited by the Ngarrindjeri nation which consisted of 18 Lakinyeri (tribes or clans). Although the population of the Ngarrindjeri nation is unknown, it is believed to have been substantial, as the lake and surrounds provided plenty of food and water. The Ngarrindjeri name for the end of Point Sturt peninsula was "Tipping", which meant "the lips". Contact with Europeans and subsequent exposure to various diseases in the early 1800s had a devastating effect on the Ngarrindjeri population, and many people died. Many others were displaced as Europeans took over the land for farming.
The name of Point Sturt was given in December 1837 by European explorers, including Mr T B Strangways and Mr Y B Hutchison, who travelled by water from Currency Creek towards the lake to ascertain the extent and outflows of Lake Alexandrina. Point Sturt was the name they gave to their landing place at the end of Sturt Peninsula.