|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Saltia is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located on the western side of the Flinders Ranges about 279 kilometres (173 mi) north of the state capital of Adelaide and about 19 kilometres (12 mi) east of the city of Port Augusta.
Saltia began as a private sub-division associated with Sections 901 and 902 of the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Woolundunga in 1862. It was declared as a place name on 13 December 1984. Boundaries for the part of the locality within the City of Port Augusta in the west were proclaimed on 17 February 1994 while the part within the District Council of Mount Remarkable in the south-east was added on 13 March 1997.
The following brief history of Saltia was compiled by the South Australian historian Geoffrey Manning:
Charles Simmons purchased land at the entrance to Pichi Richi Pass and, in 1859, built a hotel. Around it, in 1862, he laid out the town of Saltia on sections 901-2, Hundred of Woolundunga, 19 km east of Port Augusta, adopting an Aboriginal name rendered thaltia by H.P. Minchin in 1855. ...It is derived from the Aboriginal thaltja - ‘the gums’. Early pastoral lease maps show ‘Saltire Creek’ and ‘Saltire Hill’. ...The Saltia Post Office opened circa 1869; the Saltia School opened in 1864 and closed in 1905. Rodney Cockburn suggests, apparently fallaciously, that it ‘was christened by a former employee of Sir Titus Salt, a pillar of the Congregational Church of England, who laid out the village of Saltaire, Yorkshire.’ The Saltia copper and coal mine was once worked about one mile NW from Saltia railway station; ‘the inspector reported very unfavourably of the whole affair, as being worthless.