|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Bronte Park is a locality on the Marlborough Highway at the southern edge of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania, Australia. It is located just north of the Lyell Highway and approximately halfway in between Hobart and Queenstown, and is also almost exactly in the geographic centre of the island.
Bronte Park is north of Bronte Lagoon, an artificial lake in the Central Highlands
It is now primarily a tourist village catering to trout fishermen, kayakers and walkers, but was established in the 1940s as accommodation for workers on the Tasmanian Hydro Electric Commission's 'Tungatinah Scheme', 'Nive River Scheme' and other associated works in the vicinity. By the 1950s it was a bustling village of over 700 workers, with a store, police station, post office, school, cinema, hospital, dairy and a church, but now many of the original houses and buildings have been removed, with only a few remaining now as part of the Bronte Lagoon Chalet. Bronte Park Post Office opened on 1 July 1948 and closed in 1979. By 1991 the Hydro Electric Commission (now Hydro Tasmania) sold the chalets into private ownership.