|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Chudleigh is a small rural village 64 kilometres (40 mi) west of Launceston in northern Tasmania, Australia. The town is in the Chudleigh Valley, between the Gog range and the Great Western Tiers. The area is primarily used for farming, though timber and lime production have been significant industries. The fertile flats of the valley are of alluvial origin, from the Permian era. The Chudleigh show, run by the Agricultural and Horticultural society, is an agricultural show held each February. Since 1889 the show has been held 125 times, and it is one of the state's oldest such events.
The area had been the lands of the Pallittorre Aboriginal Tasmanians for thousands of years. European settlement and disease drove them from the lands and decimated their population. Chudleigh was first settled by Europeans in the 1830s for agriculture and lime production. The town was laid out, probably prior to 1835, to have up to 5000 residents though the population never became large. An early resident, John Badcock Gardiner, named Chudleigh, probably after Chudleigh in Devon, England. During the 19th century a town hall, four churches, a school, an inn, post office, police station and telegraph office were built. Over time the churches, school, inn and post office have closed. A rail line from Deloraine to Mole Creek served the town from 1890 till its closure in 1985.
Chudleigh has a population, as measured by the 2011 census, of 335. The town has a privately run wildlife park, a shop selling and making honey products, and a few other stores.