|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Travellers Rest is a settled semi-rural area at the edge of Greater Launceston and has a population of 305.
In the 19th century the area was largely uninhabited. At the junction where the road from Launceston branches — the branches lead now and led then to Longford and Hadspen — a hotel was built in 1833 by G & T Burnett. The hotel was initially called the Travellers Rest Hotel. It burned down in March 1930 due to a hotel employee's accident; he was filling a motorcycle with petrol while holding a lit storm lantern. By 1941 only the front wall remained, a state that led to a call for its demolition. The remaining ruins were finally removed in 1990 when the site was covered by construction of the Bass Highway.