|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Archies Creek is a small town in Victoria, Australia. It is located between the Dalyston - Glen Forbes Road and Loch-Wonthaggi Road, on the Archies Creek Road, in the Bass Coast Shire, north-west of Wonthaggi.
Much of the development in this particular corner of South Gippsland was due to the discovery of coal at Cape Paterson in 1825–26. But it was far more than just coal which caused this area to grow. Many pioneers had realised the potential of the land and had begun clearing it to raise cattle and sheep long before coal mining began in 1859.
Early records indicate that a factory was established at Archies Creek in the late 1800s. Still, very little development actually took place in the township until after the turn of the century. In 1902, when an application was made for a hotel licence by Mrs Mary A Dixon, it appeared that the only other business in the town was the Melbourne Chilled Butter Factory. This privately owned factory was sold to the Wonthaggi Dairy Produce Company in 1903 for the sum of 800 pounds. It was run as a co-operative with local dairy farmers on the Board to control operations. It built up a world-wide reputation for quality butter and other dairy products.
The township was well established when, on 14 August 1902, a group of men met in the Royal Mail Hotel to discuss the possibility of building a public hall. Jas Dixon offered to buy the land and the local people were canvassed to raise the 200 pounds required for its construction.
|Our new tool powered by|