|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Harrow is a town in the Wimmera region of western Victoria, Australia. The town is located in the Shire of West Wimmera local government area, 391 kilometres north west of the state capital Melbourne, overlooking the Glenelg River valley. At the 2016 census, Harrow and the surrounding area had a population of 200.The first European explorer of the area was Thomas Mitchell and a monument marks the spot where he crossed the Glenelg River. The region that included the later Harrow townsite was first taken up as a sheep station by William Rickets in August 1840. A store was built on the site of Harrow in March 1848 by R. H. Evans near the pre-existing Foresters Inn. There is no record that the Forester's Inn was ever licensed. A Post Office was announced on 16 March 1849 to be operated out of Mr R. H. Evans store. Township blocks at Harrow were auctioned at Portland in October 1853 amongst allegations that the owner of Clunie station bought them all in an effort to prevent occupation of the townHarrow was an early inland settlement in Victoria but was preceded by Kilmore, Gisborne and Carlsruhe in 1837. Harrow also was proclaimed a town early. Benalla and Wangaratta had been proclaimed towns on 7 and 11 April 1849 respectively. Buninyong, Winchelsea, Portarlington, Longwood, Avenel, Cavendish, Euroa and Gisborne had been proclaimed towns on the same day, 27 June 1851 The Post Office opened on 1 March 1849 as Upper Glenelg (Harrow from 1854).
At its peak, the town included a range of shops and services including two hotels.
|Our new tool powered by|