|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Jamieson is a small town in Victoria, Australia. It is located at the junction of the Goulburn River and Jamieson River, 193 kilometres (120 mi) north-east of Melbourne. The name is believed to have been derived from George Jamieson, a shepherd who grazed sheep in the area in the 1850s. At the time of the 2016 census, Jamieson had a population of 301.The area was first settled in 1860 and by 1861 there were approximately 300 people working the goldfields. According to the book Jamieson Founders and Families by Dr Brian Lloyd, the first Post Office in the upper Goulburn district was at Mansfield in 1858. The first Post and Telegraph Office at Jamieson was on the west side of Bank Street. When the Oriental Bank closed down in 1865, the Post Office was moved across the street to occupy the bank building. The Post Office at its current location in Perkins St was from about 1872.The town site was surveyed in 1862, and a borough council was established in 1864. By 1865 the town had a Catholic chapel, an Anglican church, a school, a court house and police station, two banks, two insurance offices, five hotels and several stores. Jamieson reached its peak in the 1870s, but a sharp decline soon followed. Most mining operations had ceased by the beginning of the First World War, and Black Friday bushfires destroyed many mine workings in 1939.
By the 1990s, the town had become a popular tourist destination, boosted by Lake Eildon (situated adjacent to the Jamieson township and formed by the damming of the Goulburn River) reaching 100% capacity in 1996.
|Our new tool powered by|