|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Marlo is a small village in the Gippsland region of Victoria, Australia. Marlo has received great recognition for having wonderful beaches, swimming in the Snowy river and great fishing. It is located east near the mouth of the Snowy River where the Snowy River meets and flows into the Southern Ocean.
The name "Marlo" is generally accepted to have roots in tribal aboriginal language. "Marloo" meaning white clay is suggestive of the Marlo Bluff, whilst "Murloo" meaning "muddy banks" was reportedly used by the local indigenous people.
At the 2006 census, Marlo had a population of 564.The first settler to occupy the Marlo township area was James Stirling around the year 1875. He built a bark hut on the bluff that had two rooms, bark walls, earthen floors and a shingle roof. By 1884, this structure had expanded to a 9 roomed accommodation house and in 1886 became the Marlo Hotel when a liquor license was granted.The Governor-in-Council declared Marlo to be a township on 18 February 1889.
During May 1889, the government surveyor, E.L. Bruce set out 19 sections of the new township, with the first sales of subdivided land occurring the following May.At this time, Stirling's Marlo Hotel was the unofficial hub for the community. It was a general store, accommodation house and the unofficial post office, with settlers taking turns in bringing the mail from Orbost or Cunningham. This continued until Aug 1942, and in 1969 was located in a house adjacent to the Marlo Hotel, before being transferred to the Marlo General Store in this year.
|Our new tool powered by|