|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Highgate is an inner suburb of Perth, Western Australia, located within the City of Vincent and north of the central business district of Perth. Highgate was named for the village of Highgate, Hawkhurst in Kent, England. Highgate is the smallest real suburb in Perth, with an area of only 0.4 km2.
Among the landmarks of the area is the Lincoln Street Vent, a disused art deco sewerage vent, designed by Russell Dumas and completed in 1935, alongside the disused Highgate Hill Police Station (which is also the site of a proposed police museum). The vent, which proved to be a "white elephant", was secretly used as an antenna base by the Police Wireless Service during World War II.
St Mark's International College, an English as a second language school operated between 1989 and 2010, at 375 Stirling St, on the corner of Harold St. The St Mark's buildings were constructed from 1936, as a Catholic Christian Brothers boys' high school. This was known as CBHS Highgate until 1978, when it merged with St Mark's in Bedford (previously CBHS Bedford) and received that school's students. The name of the school was changed to St Mark's College Highgate in 1982. St Mark's was closed and sold several years later, when all students were transferred to Chisholm College, in Bedford. St Mark's is undergoing re-development as an apartment complex.
The suburb has two primary schools: Sacred Heart, a Catholic school and Highgate Primary School (the second oldest government primary in the state). Highgate Primary School has students from over 50 different nationalities and backgrounds.
|Our new tool powered by|