|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Kurnalpi is an abandoned town in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia. It lies in what was once Maduwongga territory and is situated between Norseman and Laverton.
In 1894 alluvial gold was discovered in the area sparking a rush to the area, a townsite being surveyed later the same year and gazetted in 1895. The post office was established later the same year and continued to operate until at least 1910. Potable water was difficult to source in the area so several mobile water condensers were brought to town with three arriving in 1896, two more in 1897 and another in 1898. A police station was built in 1896 and closed in 1910. A twice a week coach travelled to Kalgoorlie began operating in 1897. By 1901 the population of the town was 262 people (with 250 of them being male).The name of the town is Aboriginal in origin but the meaning is unknown. A feature of the district on the edge of town is known as Kurnalpi Rockholes.