|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Peppermint Grove Beach is a residential subdivision and beachside town in the South West region of Western Australia. Its local government area is the Shire of Capel and it is located 8 kilometres (5 mi) northwest of Capel on the Geographe Bay coast near the Capel River mouth.
Peppermint Grove Beach, sometimes called Peppermint Grove Beach Estate, is situated on land that was first farmed by James McCourt, an Irish Catholic settler in the 19th century. James McCourt arrived in the colony in 1842 with his wife Mary and two children, on the 'Trusty'. He worked at Australind as a timber worker.In 1843, they abandoned Australind and moved to Ludlow where several Catholic families had settled. By 1847 McCourt had a 330-acre depasturing lease which he named 'Fatfield' by 1848. He expanded his property. After buying land at Peppermint Grove Beach in 1854, he purchased locations 181–185 in 1860. In 1862, after floods washed away their dwelling, he sold property to Captain Molloy. After some years of financial difficulties, he was able to retain Peppermint Grove properties and built a dwelling. He established 'McCourt's Farm', growing onions, breeding horses and raising cattle. In 1873, the government resumed part of Location 182 as a site chosen for a cut through the sea. In 1874, Charles Manning (Clerk of Works) had the cut built by the last of the convicts from the Bunbury depot which closed the same year. The cut was immediately south of Doungup, and is still there. McCourt was employed to keep the cut clear. People often camped on the land in the valley near the safe swimming spot and during the popularity of the place, it became known as Peppermint Grove.
|Our new tool powered by|