|1 results of 1||Open Now|
Gunns Plains is a small town located 20 km south of Ulverstone on the north-west coast of Tasmania, Australia.
The valley has a population of approximately 171. The Leven River winds slowly through its pastures that support a variety of grazing stock. Agricultural endeavours are also very successful, benefiting from rich red volcanic soil. The town was named after botanist Ronald Campbell Gunn, who discovered the valley in 1860.The community was involved in a significant number of men going to the First World War.The valley had one vineyard that produced Pinot and Chardonnay. It closed due to financial struggles.
The main attractions of Gunns Plains are the limestone caves, of which over one hundred and fifty have been discovered. The Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service administers Gunns Plains Cave, which is open to the public with daily tours.
An attraction in the area is the 'Wing's Wildlife Park' which has local animals such as Tasmanian devils, quolls, koalas, wombats, echidnas, bandicoots, possums, squirrel gliders and many macropods (kangaroos, wallabies, bettongs); as well as animals from overseas including bison, water buffalo, camel, donkey, deer, capybaras, meerkats and capuchin, macaque and marmoset monkeys. Additionally number of other animals including birds and reptiles such as ostrich, emu, eagles, falcons, owls, cockatoos, snakes and lizards.Its post office opened on 3 April 1900 and closed in 1974.
|Our new tool powered by|